· “The part or total removal of the external female genital organs for cultural or other non-therapeutic reasons”
What is FGM/C?
· Abbreviated form of Female Genital Mutilation
· Because the term mutilation can cause offense where this is a cultural tradition, some people prefer to call the practice FGC (the “C” stands for Cutting)
How many women are harmed?
· Between 100 to 140 million girls and grown women around the world
· Every day about 6 thousand girls are at risk of having FGMs performed on them
Why do FGMs limit the speech of girls?
· Because they are under the age of 18 years old, daughters are unable to express dissent
· There is serious physical and mental damage done to the body
When are FGMs performed?
· Usually before the girl has gone through puberty, between 4 – 8 years old
View original post 816 more words